The Implementation and Governance Plan identifies four goals for the GCRMN, with subsidiary objectives:
Improve understanding of coral reef status and trends, globally and regionally.
- 1.1 Quantify change in core components of the reef community
- 1.2 Attribute changes and impacts on coral reefs to key drivers
- 1.3 Identify and interpret reef recovery processes important for maintaining and restoring reefs
- 1.4 Identify and interpret trends in key social and economic drivers and benefits in relation to coral reef status and trends
Analyse and communicate coral reef biophysical, social and economic trends, providing science-based recommendations in support of raising awareness, management and policy development
- 2.1 Support evidence-based decisions on management and policy responses to coral reef biophysical, social and economic trends
- 2.2 Support assessments and reporting that track progress towards internationally adopted goals and targets, in relation to environmental, social and economic targets
Enable and facilitate greater utilization of coral reef data, including in research.
- 3.1 Support and promote the exchange of information and sharing of knowledge about reef status, trends and responses
- 3.2 Contribute to and operationalize innovations and their application in coral reef monitoring, research and modelling
Build human and technical capacity to collect, analyse and report biophysical and socio-economic data on coral reefs
- 4.1 Identify capacity building needs at local, national and regional levels, and support the network members in meeting these needs
- 4.2 Generate and report on relevant metrics demonstrating delivery of GCRMN goals 1, 2 and 3